HOW TO OPEN A LOCKED DOOR WITHOUT A KEY [3 SIMPLE WAYS]
Most of us had gone through the times when we locked ourselves out of our homes. No matter how many times we go through this, we never learn. I consider myself to be a responsible person, but still many times when I was in a hurry, I forgot to pick up the keys of my house and toss them in my bag. The thing is, when we are busy and running late to work in the morning, our focus is not on our keys as we believe that they are already lying safely in our bag. We forget at times that the previous night we didn’t put our keys in our bags. Therefore, losing the keys to your home or forgetting to put them in the bag before leaving is inevitable. If you will need a locksmith Philadelphia feel free to contact us.
Even if you are a responsible person and you have never faced this situation, still there may come times when you would have to open a locked door without keys. These three simple ways to open a locked door without a key would come handy for you. You might not have to use these techniques for yourself but help someone us, such as your neighbor.
Many people think that it is hard to open a locked door without a key. Have you not ever wondered how robbers get into homes without keys? They follow these simple techniques as well, nothing special. If they can do it for a wrong cause, then you can also do it when you are locked out of your home. With these simple ways, you can open your locked door without causing any destruction. Without further due, let’s get into the most accessible ways how you can open a locked door without a key.
Technique no.1: Pick a lock with bobby pins
Using bobby pins as a substitute for keys is the most common way to open a door. All it requires is a bobby pin. Getting a bobby pin is not tricky. I am sure there are hundreds of bobby pins already lying around in your home, if not, then you can always get these bobby pins from any local store at a meager price. Bobby pins can be easily manipulated into any shape depending upon what you want it to look like. Opening a locked door with bobby pins is not difficult, which is why a lot of people rely upon this technique. You must have also seen people using this technique to open a locked door in movies. It is time for you to act it out in your real life now.
- Step 1: You will need two bobby pins to unlock the door without a locksmith. Both of these bobby pins must be bent in a particular way.
- Step 2: The first bobby pin will be inserted in the door lock in place of the key to turn the cylinder.
- Step 3: Bend the fulcrum ends of the bobby pins by a few centimeters and use one of its ends to enter in the bottom of the keyhole, whereas the other end would be resting at the bottom.
- Step 4: After doing this, make sure to take the second bobby pin and bend it completely from the fulcrum so that the pin turns into a long straight line.
- Step 5: When this is done, bend the second bobby pin a little to its straight end so that it could be entered into the top of the keyhole.
When a door is locked, its cylinder is prevented from turning the bolt and opening the door by a couple of spring-loaded pins. When we use bobby pins and push them inside the keyhole by jiggling them up a bit, the lock’s cylinder turns which makes it turn the bolt and open the door. Yes, you will have to work a bit to get the cylinder turn, but once it is done, it will be worth all the hassle.
Technique no.2: Push the bolt with a credit card
Another popular way to open a locked door without a key is by using a credit card. No, you won’t be using the credit card to buy a new door with it; instead, you will be using it to push the bolt of the lock to open the door without a locksmith.
You can use either a credit card or a debit card to open a locked door; however, it is essential to know that opening a locked door with a credit card would not work for deadbolts or doors with high security. Only the doors which have an angled latch bolt can be opened with a credit card.
You must be wondering how a credit card can be used to open a door lock. A credit card is made from plastic resin which can be wedged into a door and force the locked door to open. Another important thing to know is that this method will not work if the door has a reinforced strike plate as this plate would bar access to the latch of the door.
A credit card is sturdy, which makes it perfect for pushing the bolt of a lock and opening the door. This technique for opening locked doors is quite easy to perform. Let’s now discuss the steps for opening a locked door with a credit card.
- Step 1: Firstly, you will have to angle your card towards the latch bolt’s side which is in a slanted position as it will help you in pushing the latch bolt resting in the strike plate.
- Step 2: Keep pushing the credit card against the angled latch and meanwhile add your pressure against the door so that the door gets unlocked.
Technique no.3: Remove the doorknob with a screwdriver
If you don’t have the key to a door, then you can open it by simply removing the doorknob. All that is required for this method is a screwdriver, and you are good to go. Yes, this technique won’t work for doors that have a high-security level, and there is a great chance that it won’t open the front door of your home. It is a long process and requires hard work.
- Method 1: There are some doors on which you can easily find the mounting screws and remove them to disassemble the lock by using a head screwdriver.
- Method 2: However, there are other locks for which you will first have to remove shank, rose, or other pieces of the door to find the mounting screws and unlock the door. For this process, you will require a flathead screwdriver.
This shows that screwdrivers are an essential tool that must be available in every house. They surely do come handy when you have to open a locked door without a locksmith. It must be noted that this technique won’t work on every type of door. A screwdriver won’t help you in cases where the door has a button lock from the inside too.
It is always a good idea to use preventive steps to avoid getting in such a situation.
- Make sure to always keep a spare key somewhere in your bag or your car in order not be in in need for auto locksmith service in Philadelphia. You can also ask a trusted friend or family member to hold a spare key to your house.
- Try to wake up early in the morning so you won’t have to rush towards work and have enough time to put all the essential things in your bag and recheck to see that you have everything.
- You can also place a table next to your front door and put your keys on it so whenever you are making your way outsides you quickly pick up the keys from the table.
As we all know that getting yourself locked out is something that is bound to happen to at least once in your life, therefore it is always good to know how to save yourself in such a situation. The ways mentioned above to a locked door without a key would surely come handy; however, there are some other ways to open a locked door such as picking the lock using a paperclip, removing its hinges using a screwdriver, annihilating the lock using a hammer, etc. In case your door gets jammed you can open it by lubricating the lock, turning the key in both directions in the keyhole, pushing or pulling the door when you try to unlock it with a key, etc.
You can also use a knife instead of a credit card to push the bolt of the lock and open the door. Now you know a variety of ways how you can open a locked door without a key, so if you ever get locked out of your home, you won’t have to worry. You must be having a credit card in your purse or a bobby pin in your hair. In case you don’t have either of these, you can always ask your neighbors to lend you some tools for opening your locked door without a key.